ATHENS                 –                 The Worldwide Olympic Committee is going through its strongest headwinds in many years because it briefed nationwide committees on Wednesday on the state of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics amid the coronavirus pandemic, with voices of dissent rising louder.

The IOC has remained dedicated to staging the Tokyo Video games as deliberate from July 24-Aug. 9, saying on Tuesday after a gathering with worldwide sports activities federations that measures towards the virus have been delivering outcomes.

The coronavirus has thus far killed greater than 8,200 individuals and contaminated over 200,000, with the epicentre now in Europe. The Olympic physique has refused to publicly take into account cancellation or postponement as doable choices, whilst different main occasions together with soccer’s Euro 2020 and Copa America and the French Open tennis grand slam introduced postponements on Tuesday. The virus has additionally wreaked havoc with Olympic qualification tournaments, with athletes struggling to coach, journey or compete and plenty of pre-Video games qualifiers cancelled or postponed.

Tokyo is ready to host some 11,000 athletes and 57% have already earned their spot on the Video games. The remaining 43% will clinch their place via modified qualifiers, or earlier performances based mostly on rating.

Below the present distinctive circumstances, the IOC stated, options wanted to be discovered that have been acceptable, although they may not be best for all athletes. “This is an exceptional situation which requires exceptional solutions,” the IOC instructed a information company on Wednesday. “The IOC is committed to finding a solution with the least negative impact for the athletes, while protecting the integrity of the competition and the athletes’ health. “No solution will be ideal in this situation, and this is why we are counting on the responsibility and solidarity of the athletes.”

The IOC acquired the backing from Panam Sports activities, the organisation representing 41 nationwide Olympic Committees within the Americas. “The Panam Sports family unanimously supports the IOC with all the measures taken… to address the issues facing the NOCs and athletes in the current qualification opportunities,” Panam Sports activities President Neven Ilic stated after the briefing through convention name on Wednesday. “The athletes of the Americas are facing issues to complete their usual training schedules and take part in competitions.”

Based on sources with direct data of the convention name, some nationwide Olympic committees (NOCs), particularly from nations severely affected by the virus, stated they absolutely supported the IOC in its effort to host the Video games as deliberate however couldn’t wait indefinitely to search out out what’s going to occur. The supply stated some NOC heads expressed their concern as their athletes are unable to coach on account of restrictions for the virus and have been additionally battling qualifiers.

IOC member Hayley Wickenheiser known as the choice to proceed with the Video games “insensitive and irresponsible” in essentially the most vocal assault on the Olympic physique since President Thomas Bach took over in 2013. Wickenheiser, who competed in 5 Winter Video games in ice hockey and on the 2000 Summer time Olympics in softball, stated persevering with with the Video games as deliberate ignored the challenges posed by the coronavirus pandemic. “This crisis is bigger than even the Olympics,” Wickenheiser stated in an announcement on Twitter. “Athletes can’t train. Attendees can’t travel plan. Sponsors and marketers can’t market with a degree of sensitivity. “I think the IOC insisting this will move ahead, with such conviction, is insensitive and irresponsible given the state of humanity.”

She is just not alone. A number of athletes, together with reigning Olympic pole vault champion Katerina Stefanidi, stated the IOC determination was placing athletes’ well being in danger, urging them to coach as regular when complete nations have shut right down to comprise the virus unfold. “There is no postponement, no cancellation. But it (the IOC) is putting us at risk,” Stefanidi stated in an interview. “We all want Tokyo to happen but what is the Plan B if it does not happen? “Knowing about a possible option has a major effect on my training because I may be taking risks now that I would not take if I knew there was also the possibility of a Plan B.”