Tokyo-The Worldwide Olympic Committee doesn’t plan any “drastic” selections concerning the Tokyo 2020 Video games, saying on Tuesday it stays totally dedicated to the occasion being staged in 4 months’ time regardless of the worldwide unfold of the coronavirus.

Following discussions with worldwide sports activities federations the IOC mentioned adjustments would have to be made to the qualifiers as a result of influence of the virus, however it nonetheless plans to go forward with the July 24-Aug 9 Olympics. “The IOC remains fully committed to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and with more than four months to go before the Games there is no need for any drastic decisions at this stage,” it mentioned in a press release.

“Any speculation at this moment would be counter-productive,” it mentioned, lower than an hour after European soccer physique UEFA postponed its 2020 European Championship to 2021. “The IOC encourages all athletes to continue to prepare for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 as best they can,”

Earlier on Tuesday, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe mentioned Group of Seven leaders had agreed to help a “complete” Olympics, however he dodged questions on whether or not any of the leaders had introduced up the opportunity of postponement. The virus additionally compelled the postponement of South America’s Copa America soccer event – one of many largest attracts on the soccer calendar – and hypothesis about whether or not the Olympics could be held has grown by the day.

Up to now the coronavirus has contaminated virtually 190,000 folks and killed greater than 7,500 worldwide, with the epicentre now being Europe. Sports activities competitions have come to a halt in lots of elements of the world, wreaking havoc with Olympic qualifier occasions throughout 33 sports activities. The IOC on Monday scrapped any remaining boxing qualifiers as a result of virus.

“The health and well-being of all those involved in the preparations for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is our number-one concern,” IOC President Thomas Bach mentioned. “All measures are being taken to safeguard the safety and interests of athletes, coaches and support teams. We are an Olympic community; we support one another in good times and in difficult times.”

The IOC will maintain additional talks with Nationwide Olympic Committees and athletes’ representatives within the coming days. Up to now 57% of the 11,000 athletes have already secured their spots, whereas for the remaining 43% of locations the IOC is working with federations to adapt the qualifying procedures for Tokyo.

Qualification is also primarily based on rating or historic outcomes as effectively. “The IOC has confidence that the many measures being taken by many authorities around the world will help contain the situation of the COVID-19 virus,” the IOC mentioned.